Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Very busy week....ended

My parents came in on Thursday and a few short hours later my grandmother arrived. We made our first stop to NEX so that we could search for a new hat for my dad...if you saw his bald head, you'd understand his need to protect it from the sun... :) So once my family was settled in our house I posted our agenda on the fridge complete with deadlines....and My parents thought it was funny...just my payback for 17 years. Our agenda was full for the short 4 days of their visit. First, we had our busy day on Friday. We left the house at 6:45 AM to be at Pearl Harbor by 8am. Shortly after arriving dad & Jeff made their place in line for us while the ladies went to the restroom....yes, this is an important detail so you understand how painful my weekend was....literally. On the way, mom says "watch out for the mud" and being the usual clumbsy person I am I fall right in to the wet mud. That wasnt the worst part....I bruised my very tender knee and cut it open. 5 days later and I just picked gravel out of my scab...gross. So we had a great time at Pearl Harbor. We enjoyed a history lesson and hearing a few survivors speak. I even saw a girl there that I knew from South Carolina...small island...literally. So here are a few pictures from our Pearl Harbor trip....

Jeff & I at the anchor!

The USS Arizona from the boat.

A few of the 4o something survivors....Jeff loved listening to them speak. Jeff & I on the ArizonaMy favorite picture....something special about a US Flag.

Following this trip to Pearl Harbor we left for a trip to the Ala Moana Mall. We enjoyed some lunch and went to a yummy bar. After endulging on some delicious foods we visited the Bodies exhibit. Without spoiling it the exhibit for you I will say that it was a learning experience. It was quite shocking to see some of those bodies....who were once alive just sitting there as people ooohhh and ahhhh over them. My mom kept saying "im getting queesy" but that's nothing new for her. She cant handle needles....even outside of the arm. lol. The only thing I do not recommend is the "audio tour" because it is not worth your $6 unless you have kids. The kids version is better for them. It was very emotional to see the fetal development section. I tried to avoid it at first, fear of breaking down, but God directed me in there. I didnt really learn anything new, but it was interesting to see. I felt bad when I saw the infants in there...I felt like they shouldnt be on display but it is to educate people. Needless to say, I spent a total of 2 minutes in there.

Saturday was an even busier day. We awoke about 7:00 to the smell of eggs, sausage, toast and fruit. Yep, daddy was making breakfast. That's my dad's specialty. He's always cooked breakfast on the weekends since I was little. So Saturday we spent the dat at the Polynesian Cultural Center. This was something I had been planning since I found out they were coming to visit. We spent the entire day there.....arrived at 11:00 and left at 9pm! It was a lot of fun and we enjoyed every moment....we chose not to have a guided tour so we could enjoy our time at each place as long as possible. I think my mom's camera had more fun than we She took well over 100 pictures. Our favorite part was the guy who cracks coconuts and throws fire. He was hilarious.....and kept the whole crowd laughing with his sarcastic jokes. Here are a few pictures from that day....

My parents left yesterday and we enjoyed their visit so much. Probably more than last time...mainly because they wernt here for Jeff's deployment this time. We got to do alot more sight seeing this time and we had the chance to take them to places we have not had the chance to explore ourselves. Soon, I'll be going home for the holidays and then they can show me around the NEW isnt my hometown anymore the way it has changed. Anymore visitors want to come stay with us?


TetVet said...

America's oldest living Medal of Honor recipient, living his 99th year is former enlisted Aviation Chief Ordnanceman (ACOM), later wartime commissioned Lieutenant John W. Finn, USN (Ret.). He is also the last surviving Medal of Honor, "The Day of Infamy", Japanese Attack on the Hawaiian Islands, Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941.

View my photo album tribute:

San Diego, California

Carrie T said...

I would LOVE to come stay with you. How much did it cost your parents to fly there? Did they leave from GSP or Charlotte? Why do you say that Greenville has changed? It's just a little bigger . . . a little more to do:)